Do Half-Elves Reverie?

General discussions regarding the Mythos universe.

Moderator: The Pantheon

Do Half-Elves Reverie?

Postby AoWhijun on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:23 am

I was thinking one day about this and when I tried looking around for it, I couldn't find anything concrete.

I also asked Prufrock and he couldn't find anything concrete from what he had. He did mention that Half-Elves are immune to sleep like Elves are, so that maybe a basis that they do enter reverie (am I even using this word correctly).

So, in the world of Mythos, do Half-Elves sleep or reverie?
Alvin Ao, Half-Elven Warrior...follower of...Astraea?
Tahlaer Bladesong, Bard of the Many Languages
AoWhijun

Settler

Postby Corellon Larethian on Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:10 am

Half elves sleep.

The Reverie is unique to pure elves and is directly tied to their unimaginable (to humans) life span, as well as their unique mental capacities for concentration and communion.

Similarly, half elves do not have the elven ability of "manifestation" as they lack the elves' connection to the earth and nature.

The elven immunity to Sleep spells is less a function of Reverie than of their natural resistance to enchantments in general, a benefit that half-elves DO inherit.

[my 2 cents]
Creator of the Elves, The Protector, First of the Seldarine, Protector and Preserver of Life, Ruler of All Elves, Coronal of Arvandor
Corellon Larethian

Town Crier

Postby AoWhijun on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:56 am

Hm...well this is coming from the Corellon himself.... :D
AoWhijun

Settler

Postby Flidais on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:52 am

Pretty heave two cents then perhaps. :)
Flidaise Foltchoín, the Queen of nature, the mistress of the wild, and sometimes known as the wildebeest.

Maturity is knowing that you were an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is knowing that you will be one in the future.
Common sense is knowing that you should try not to be one now.
Flidais

Pantheon

Postby TheNahga on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:54 pm

[Sci-Fi nerd moment]

2 Flanian pebble beads

[/Sci-fi nerd Moment]

I swear I haven't read Hitchhikers guide to many times
Nelyia Tiri'Lasse(brightleaf)
AKA- The Nahga:
-Guild Mistress and Engineer of the Arcanus.

Person A: I got a Toaster oven
Person B: I got a Robo-claw
Both: ..... ROBO-TOASTER!
TheNahga

Squire

Postby Prufrock on Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:31 pm

Yeah, it seemed to be a grey area to me. I guessed not but the book explains why Elves are immune to sleep on the basis that sleep is utterly foreign to them. Since half elves are wholly immune to sleep too I thought well maybe.

The combination of the Reverie and manifestation gives elves a deep sense of self, giving them a secure identity. As they are intimately attuned to their own lives, wants and needs they are not easily mislead about their goals.

Also notable about the reverie(by this book not necessarily on Mythos) is that it is a major reason why elves try to live happy full lives: they have to relive their past every night, and they don't get to chose what part of it. It is possible for memories to be taken from those who should not or cannot bear certain memories and placed in another, truly noble individual. Some elves hold entire tribes sorrows so that the innocent may enter the reverie in peace.
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...
- Yeats The Second Coming
Prufrock

Villager

Postby AoWhijun on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:30 am

*Sigh* Half-Elves are such an interesting race. Too bad they're kinda overlooked, IMO.

Just a thought. If half-elves did reverie, they would probably have to live bad memories over more often than elves, right? The normal life that a half-elf would lead would be troubled anyway (human vs elf) and the shorter lifespan would probably mean ones life would be more concentrated with bad memories. That would be hell. More like a curse to a half-elf. I'm starting to like the idea, especially for Alvin.

But, if half-elves don't reverie, then meh, whatever. Just wanted to know because there are times when Alvin is resting by a tree or something and I don't know whether to have him sleep or reverie. He does get lost in thought though for hours on end (as many of you might have noticed).
AoWhijun

Settler

Postby LordJacknife on Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:Also notable about the reverie(by this book not necessarily on Mythos) is that it is a major reason why elves try to live happy full lives: they have to relive their past every night, and they don't get to chose what part of it.

Hell, I live my RL for that reason mostly. Dreams are amalgams of what we see in RL. :D

And I do often forget that Jacknife can't sleep. I think I confused a few people by him babbling about waking up.

But then again, with the number of times Jacknife has died in his recent past.... *smirks* I'd rather sleep/dream then meditate/relive all that too.
Jacknife Sanguinarius, Bard and Ranger Alder of Custos Agrestis.

Junta StoneBleeder Dwarven sword dreidle
LordJacknife

Settler

Return to Mythos General Discussions